Planning and getting your wedding together is a hard task. So when it comes to changing your last name we wanted to try to make it as easy as possible. Your guest list might not be in order but your name will.
1. Get extra certified copies of your marriage certificate – you will need them.
2. Go to the Social Security Administration website and fill out the name change form to update your social security card.
3. Visit your state’s department of motor vehicles for a new driver’s license. Find out online which documents you’ll need to bring in order to certify the validity of your name change. They may not accept copies – check first.
4. A Passport Amendment/Validation Application will be required so check out the site to get your name changed so your ready for the destination honeymoon.
5. Personal checks, business cards, credit cards, leases, contracts and any other documents that contain your old name will need changing.
6. Let your employers and schools (if you are a student) know your new name, and ask them to change it in their records and get email verification.
7. Your vehicle registration, mortgage companies, insurance carriers , and even your frequent-flier program and health clubs will need to be changed.
8. Utility bills under your old name need to be notified as well as the registrar of voters.
9. Send out a simple announcement by email to friends, family and co-workers.
If you’re a man changing your name at marriage you will need to check with your state’s requirements.
Mojuba- love, life, and the unexpected